Monday, September 6, 2010

On my own!

There are an incredible amount of people out there in the world that are willing to teach their trade. They take pride in the fact that someone would want to learn from them as opposed to someone else, with comparable ability. There is, however, a double edged sword for this scenario in which people want to learn that trade on their own in in hopes of impressing the person that is willing to teach them.

For as long as I can remember, my grandma has been trying to get me into sewing. It would be something that we could do together, despite the fact that we are already very close and do almost everything together. I knew how much this meant to her, so I decided to teach myself how to sew. Teaching myself to sew was not quite as easy as I thought. The first "job" I did was repair a button for my brothers pants, the button apparently fell off at an inconvient time, sorry Shane! After a few more practice rounds, though, my ability improved and I showed my skills to my grandma, I don't think that she is very impressed, but she is very proud!

5 comments:

  1. Impressive! My mom has been trying to teach me how to sew since I was little. I attempted to try but failed. I should probably learn how to do basic sewing though! As long as you and your grandma are proud, that's all that matters in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandma taught be to sew and pretty much be the housewife she was, because as a child my sisterand I spent a lot of time with my grandparents. Now that my grandmother is getting old and not sewing anymore she's actually passing down the family sewing machine that is her pride and join to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a child I had a little girl's pink sewing machine and if I remember, used it a little bit. As a guy, looking back at it, that was totally weird and awful. -Aaron Engel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learning how to do something on your own can be difficult and time consuming, I have done it myself with other things. For me, doing it yourself gives you a bigger sense of accomplishment than it does when you have help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doing well and learning a new skill really gives you the sense of accomplishment. My grandmother taught me to sew and cook and pretty much be her. Plus these things do come in handy.

    ReplyDelete